Friday, April 26, 2013

Fact #69

Fact #69: There is no word in the English Language that rhymes with month.

Okay, to be honest, the first time I read this I thought it said "mouth." I mentioned this to my fiance and he said, "what about south?"I should have looked closer when I read it the first time...

Something like this requires a little research. I would not like to say "it's true" when there was a word sitting right there in front of me. So I have checked out some websites that may give me a clue to what may be out there...

According to rhymezone.com, there is no word that rhymes.
On rhymer.com, they give a couple of suggestions, although I would hardly consider the following words rhymers with "month:"
-billionth
-millionth
-seventh
-trillionth
-zillionth
In fact, they are considered "end rhymes" instead of "pure rhymes."
Wikirhymer.com claims there are no pure rhyming words.
As with rhymer.com, writeexpress.com also only gives end rhymes instead of true rhymes.

And several other websites say the same thing.

One site, Flocabulary.com, takes it the next step further. They provide a list of other words without rhyming partners...
-orange
-silver 
-purple 
-month 
-ninth 
-pint
-wolf 
-opus 
-dangerous 
-marathon 
-discombobulate


Personally, I think they can take silver off the list...doesn't sliver work?

I can picture a large, dusty dictionary sitting on a shelf, covered in dust. Within the pages, these words are coming together for Rhyme-Anon, where words without rhymes can commiserate on how they always get left out of poetry. Orange always provides juice and fruit for the group while Pint brings glasses. Ninth is always...ninth to arrive, and Wolf chases Opus around, thinking he's a penguin. Discombobulate always arrives in pieces, complaining how no one can ever get his spelling right. Marathon always talks forever, explaining how difficult it is for her to make friends with the other words in the dictionary. I don't know who the leader is...maybe you can pick.

As for "month," I cannot think of any word that rhymes with it. My brain is no dictionary, and I (like most people) occasionally struggle for that perfect word when writing or talking. But as far as I can discover, no word rhymes with "month." If you happen to find one, let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment