Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Fact #793

Real Fact #793: Broadway is one of the longest streets in the world. It is 150 miles long.

Well, the Broadway in Denver isn't that long. I will assume this is Broadway, New York. :-)

Sorry, Snapple. You need to check your facts on this one. The only site that even mentions Broadway (WikiAnswers) says it's 400 miles long. However, it is not called Broadway the entire stretch of the road. Is it just me, or would that be cheating?

As there is (to my knowledge) no list of the longest streets in the world, I cannot say one way or another that this is true. What I can tell you are some of the other long streets/roads out there.

The Pan American road (Also known as Highway 101) is the longest road according to the Guinness Book of World Records. It runs down pretty much the entirety of the West Coast of North America. There are parts closed at times and some places the pavement disappears and you drive on dirt instead (both largely in Central/South America) but it is one continuous road.

Yonge Street in Canada has been sighted as the longest road, and still is on Wikipedia (somebody update that, please). Pan American has it beat, however. Guinness removed it after only a few weeks.

Locals here in Colorado say Colfax is the longest continuous street (as in it doesn't change names) in the United States. I have yet to verify this one. As Pan American is a highway instead of a city street, I can accept it as fact, for now. However I know one thing for sure...I never plan on driving it from end to end to find out, especially at night.

There also various roads in other continents, like the Silk Road, that rival what we have here in the U.S. for length. Again, I wish I could find a reputable list somewhere, but I have yet to do so. Sorry.

I am happy that I have been on parts of the longest road in the world. My family's cabin is off Highway 101 on the Washington State peninsula. On the request of my family, I cannot publish specifics (other than that the cabin is off of Lake Crescent), but here is the view from the cabin itself...

(Photo from my personal collection, taken June 2010)

I have not been to my family's piece of paradise since 2011. And I want to go back very, very badly.

If you ever have the chance to drive the ol' 101, take your time and enjoy the sights. There is so much to see: beaches, forests, and hidden gems like what you see above. If you gotta be somewhere, just make sure you take the time to stop and smell the roses. You never know what you will find off 101!

No comments:

Post a Comment