Monday, February 24, 2014

Fact #899

Real Fact #899: The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

(Picture from www.123rf.com, with arrows added for clarification)

Those things have a name? I would like to say I have heard that somewhere before. When in doubt, go to the dictionary!

Here is what I found: "1 : the plain or ornamental tag covering the ends of a lace or point   2 : any of various ornamental studs, cords, or pins worn on clothing" ("Aglet" 23).

My print dictionary may be a little on the old side, but what the heck. I don't think that definition has changed much.

This seems like one of those random factoids that after reading it, you think (with sarcasm, of course) "Well now that I know THAT, is my life any different?" I know mine isn't any different for that knowledge. Maybe it will serve me well in trivia someday.

So according to this definition the term "aglet" also applies to the plastic coverings on the ends of drawstrings on sweatshirts. As a hoodie sweatshirt lover, I began to just take those string out. Not that they weren't useful, as a natural busybody I began chewing on them in classes, at home, in the car, etc when I was a kid. Anyone else guilty of this bad habit?

No, I never did that to shoelaces. No, I don't do this as an adult. The habit was kicked as a teen, yet I still remove the strings if they come out. I just never have a reason to use them, even in the rugged Rocky Mountain weather. I like to be able to see so I use a hat instead. Plus, I have some of the thickest hair around. It makes a great scarf, as weird as that may sound.


Reference: "Aglet." Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Springfield: 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment